MUSTARD SEEDS FROM POLISHING THE PULPIT
Trying to follow Jerrie Barber’s lead and “not learn too much”, the following are the mustard seeds I gleaned from this year’s Polishing the Pulpit:
CLASS - HOW CAN I BE MORALLY STABLE IN AN UNSTABLE WORLD? – STEVEN HODGIN
Mustard Seed – When I ignore God, I ignore His truth. When I ignore His truth, my morale behavior changes for the worst.
CLASS – HOW TO MOVE A CHURCH FORWARD THAT IS STUCK IN NEUTRAL – DALE HUBBERT
Mustard Seed – Change the mindset, not the message. ( sometimes you have to grind a few gears to get going)
CLASS – USING TELEVISION TO EVANGELIZE – BILLY LAMBERT
Mustard Seed – We are not commanded to succeed, just to evangelize.
CLASS - HOW ANNOUNCEMENT SLIDES CAN IMPROVE OUR WORSHIP
Mustard seed – Worship time should not be diminished by announcement time, our focus should be on worship.
CLASS - HERE’S WHAT WE DO, IT MIGHT WORK FOR YOU – HUGH WAYNE CLARK
Mustard seed – No church work is above being critiqued. Not elders, deacons, preachers, teachers, missionaries, etc. – EXPECT IT!
CLASS - 10 WAYS YOUR BIBLE SCHOOL PROGRAM COULD BECOME THE DEVIL’S WORKSHOP – ADAM FAUGHN
Mustard Seeds – 1) Assuming Bible knowledge can make someone feel inferior when they don’t know what you are talking about.
2) “Set It and Forget It” is not a Biblical principle.
3) “If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right” does not apply to church work. Amendment: If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing to God’s glory!
I may have learned too much in this one!
CLASS - LEADERSHIP AND COMMUNICATION – GEORGIA SCHOOL OF PREACHING AND BIBLE STUDIES
1) My effort to communicate may fail, even when I am honestly trying and feel that I am succeeding.
2) The Gospel is like a dog whistle. Not everyone will hear it but those who do will come running.
CLASS - THE GOD OF MUCH MORE – DAN WINKLER
God is transcendent, He can do much more than we ask for, much more than we can imagine.
CLASS - I STAND IN AWE – APPROACHING GOD WITH REVERENCE AND FEAR – WES HAZEL
1) Man’s words cannot get people to move from the back of the auditorium to the front, God’s words created the universe!
2) The dirt around the burning bush was holy when God was there, when he left it was just dirt.
CLASS – THE WEEPING PROPHET – FIRE IN MY BONES – ALAN HIGHERS
Payment/Acceptance is not the reason to do God’s work, Jeremiah received neither.
Posted on Thu, August 31, 2017
by Beth Redden